Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ed Carlson

I have finally had some sleep and have undevoted time (meaning kids are in bed, husbands getting a hair cut and its not completely dark outside yet.).
So to put it simply I will always love all of my grandparents. My Grandpa Carlson that just passed away is my last biological grandparent that was living. (I have to note here that his 1st wife, my biological grandmother passed away before I was born, and he remarried Carma, who will always be my Grandma Carma.) He was in his 90's you might want to check one of my sisters blogs for his exact age. He left so many fun memories. When I was really little, I didn't like his hugs, I felt like he hugged so tight I was going to crumble like a piece of paper your wadding up to throw in a trash can. As I got older his hug didn't lessen, but I understood that he wanted to make sure that we knew he loved us, even if it still did feel like my insides were gushing to my top or bottom from the hug.
The every day memories I have of him are of him reading the newspaper, sneaking me cookies from the cookie jar at his house, him wearing a beigish brown sweater and starting to fall asleep sitting in a recliner, and him eating corn nuts randomly out of his shirt pocket.
My sister Kim complained once that she was so short, and my Grandfather at 6 feet plus letting her know that our grandmother was that tall. I am the same height as Kim, and knowing that, its harder to complain about being short.
I remember him killing the fake spider on the wall at my house growing up that my siblings thought would be a funny joke.
So many good memories to remember him by that although he is gone I know he has left me with a lot. I know he has left all of his family with a lot of good memories to hold on too.
There is so many more stories to tell, but the only people they would mean alot to would be family, and I get to see them this weekend for his funeral.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Beautiful tribute KaraLynne. I forget you never knew Grandma. Though she was kind to be sure she provided us with an additional grandma in her absence. ya, I know, that isn't exactly like it went down, but it is a long those lines. I miss grandpa too.

White Knuckle Grip

My photo
What striving to keep a grip on life produces.