Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mermaid Hair

There is a tradition that was started by my Aunt Robin. It all started with me as a little girl, not wanting to take a bath. We were visiting in Nevada my mom's relatives, and she was given the job of watching me while I bathed. (I must have been too young to be by myself). After saying I didn't want to put my hair in the water, she asked me if I wanted to find out if I had mermaid hair or not. Ok, what little girl could resist that? My hair was long, so I thought I was a shoe in, but I had to know for sure. Sure enough, my aunt Robin confirmed that I had mermaid hair as I let my hair float around in the water. The trick to getting me help wash my hair as a little girl.
So as I fought with my three year old to get her hair wet in the bath tub this morning, when it dawned on me this morning. Can we find out if the cheesy child has mermaid hair?! The answer is yes, and it is so much easier than hearing her scream when I pour water over her head. The trick to getting her out of the tub, is ask her to look at her fingers and tell her that her fingers are going to turn in to prunes, and when she sees that her fingers are that way, she is ready to get out. Oh the tricks we play to get our kids to willingly comply with what we need to have done.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Too bad mermaid hair won't work with the Little Jamaican. That really is brilliant. I wonder how Robyn is....

I tagged you by the way.

Krista said...

I wish i would have heard that when my kids were little. Yes, we moms are famous for our reverse psycology and creative incentives these days since we can't say what our parents said: "Do it or I'll spank your butt!" That's if you had nice parents.

Nicole said...

Too bad my 4 year old boy doesn't care about having mermaid hair-as he is the one who refuses to lay down in the bathtub. Doesn't like showers much, either. sigh.

White Knuckle Grip

My photo
What striving to keep a grip on life produces.