Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sentimentality


In an effort to condense the amount of junk we have I have been going through boxes after boxes of papers. To give you an idea, I had about 5 good sized boxes of stuff with just papers in it. I have shrunk it down to one....and my filing cabinet. What I found in these boxes are slightly disturbing and baffles my mind in what the heck I was thinking. For example. I found my Spanish language notes from 6th grade, all of which I already know those words, so why am I even considering hanging on to it?!? Notes from Junior High and High school classes. In my defense I do remember Ms. Smith once saying to hang on to your notes in case of a catastrophe and your notes might be the only thing to teach your children from, and she was a history teacher. Looking back on it now, I think she was kinda joking. At least I hope, because the notes are now in the recycling bin. My calculus assignments, my art history flash cards, my chicken scratch chemistry notes, my gender roles in America college course guide, along with many many others.

What I came across with that I just couldn't seem to part with. That is the picture you see in the top corner. In it contains any scrap of paper that meant anything to me that was given to me by another person. In it contains birthday cards, thank you notes, notes from my friends. As I got older it started to include missionary farewells, wedding announcements. Among some of the people who might read this blog, I guarantee to you that your name is somewhere signed in among this stack of papers and cards. Try me and I can tell you what it is that your wrote and around what age we were when you wrote it. It further went on to include my children's cards, important events that happened that had a piece of paper attached to it like zoo trips, first movie trips, etc. The thing that I found that cracked me up the most, but I am still hanging on to it, is the top of a to go box that my husband and I drew on top of together while we were dating. Given I have all of the other endearing and loving cards and hand written notes he has ever given to me, along with every petal from every time he ever bought me flowers. I may have to become practical and give up the petals. The bag is quite large, and he has upgraded to live plants that I have to keep alive. The current one is an orchid sitting on my kitchen table. The other is the mum planted in the planter box in our front yard from the year we moved in. It has since gone wild, and most of the other plants have died....like the hydrangea. So I am a sentimental fool. Also to note that by the time I was done compiling everything I had another box just as big as these two filled with sentimental papers as well.
The one last thing I found was a paper full of quotes that I used to stick up in my friend Allene's lock every day (or at least I tried) through at least one year of high school. I will end my blog with the quotes that were left.
"All you need is love"- John Lennon
"Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love"-Lao-tzu
"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it"-Mark Twain
"Peace like charity, begins at home"
"If you would be loved, love and be lovable"-Benjamin Franklin
"You never know what happiness a simple act of kindness will bring about"-Bree Abel
"If God can work through me, he can work through anyone."-St Francis of Assisi
"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my goodness you learn"-C.S. Lewis
"The more we know the better we forgive. Whoever feels deeply, feels for all who live"-Madame de Stael.
The rest of the quotes I didn't have credit for, as is due to the original authors.
*Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens; not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, event and outcomes. It is a catalyst....a spark that creates extraordinary results.
*A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent. In the end, leaders are much like eagles....the do not flock, you find them one at a time.
*What we can easily see is only a small percentage of what is possible. Imagination is having the vision to see what is just below the surface; to picture that which is essential, but invisible to the eye.
*Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion, or it will be killed...every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter weather you are a lion or a gazelle...when the sun comes up, you better be running.
*I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show, let me do now for I shall not pass this way again.
*Believe in yourself. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face...You must do that which you think you can not do-Elenor Roosevelt.
*Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
*The race goes not always to the swift...but to those who keep on running
*Every job is self portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence
*Greatness is not where we start, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift-Nordic Afancher
*Wisdom is knowing what path to take next. Integrity is taking it
*A ship in the harbor is safe...But that's not what ships were made for.

5 comments:

Krista said...

Papers are so hard to get rid of. I think the school papers are to remind us that we once used to be smart and have a memory. In a catastrophe, we might need them to build a fire! ;-)

Karen said...

I am so impressed with all that you have gotten done. WOW! I have a basement full of such things that need my attention and pairing down. I keep thinking I'll get to it before the next move and well then, the movers come, pack it up and I still haven't dealt with it.

I love so many of those quotes. One of my favorites is the one about the lion and the gazelle. It's that way around here. If your not running when the sun comes up, the kids are going to eat you for breakfast.

Heather said...

Haha, you crack me up Karalynne! Hmmm, but I do wonder if you have anything I sent. I doubt it! ☺

Kara said...

In answer to your question Heather, I have your wedding annoucement, I have a thank you card after the gift I left Isaac when he was a baby, and your last Christmas card. I didn't go as thourghly from the child hood days, but I wouldn't doubt at least a paper Valentine.

Nicole said...

i'm far too practical for my own good and most my paper mess has long since seen the bottom of the recycle bin.

White Knuckle Grip

My photo
What striving to keep a grip on life produces.