Wednesday, October 29, 2008

NUTS!!!

OK, as aforementioned on my intro blog, that my son is allergic to peanuts. And I when I mean allergic, I mean he very well could stop breathing almost instantaneously if he ever ingested one. The last time he had a reaction that ended us up in the ER was because I had something with peanuts in it the night before, brushed my teeth, went to bed kissed him the next morning and he still had a reaction. So the point I'm making with this, I'm not sure. I just know that I miss peanuts, and all nuts in general.
We had trunk or treating tonight at our ward, and the kids had a blast. There was painting oranges, pumpkin tossing, all around fun. Always a worry when the candy is involved. What I'm getting to is that holidays can really stink as far as his allergy goes. What do you think of automatically when you or your kid gets a treat that you really, and I mean really really want. Nine times out of Ten I would almost gurantee that it would have some kind of nut in it, or that it has been manufactured in plant proccessed with peanuts or a nut of somekind, or my favorite one yet that I have to check for is "cocoa processed with Alkali". All of these things listed on the back of a wrapper means that my son either definitely will have a reaction or play russian roullette if he did eat it. I love the little guy, and I'm not willing to risk it, even if it did take over an hour to convince him to stay in his bed tonight, after bedtime. Surprisingly enough though, I don't know if I've taught him or helped educate him well enough for him to be able to pick out what he can and can't have. Going through his trick or treat basket, I only found the one treat that I knew he couldn't have, and knew it from the moment I saw it before the kind unknowing lady put it there. The peanut butter taffy. (even that sounds good now...) He knew when people offered for him to let him pick his treats he got the ones he knew he could eat. Even my girls baskets weren't that bad to have to pick out the candy to give to people that probably won't run into my son. (So yes, you could say we are a nut free family in the literal sense...maybe not in any other, but that a whole other blog...) Also knowing that after talking with his primary teacher and the primary president that a large majority of people are some what aware of his allergy and are concerned is overwhelmingly encouraging. When they were passing out fathers day stuff on church list last year the the YW president put together stuff with out the chocolate nut stuff, told specifically one girl to give it to our family specifically. I'm not asking other people to give up their own treat, I'm just glad to know that they also care enough to have my son around. So a thanks out to those who care enough to ask, or to find something that works!

4 comments:

Heather said...

So, I found your blog! I just can't imagine not being able to have nuts around! It seems like everything is made in a plant that also has peanuts. I would be scared every minute of everyday! So, do you pack his own lunch for school?

Karen said...

Cute post Missy. I feel for you in the nut department. There are many of us who would not survive without them around here. (We would, but we would be like you and miss them terribly.)

Squirty Wart said...

I do not envy you in one bit... Reeses is by far my favorite thing (seeing how I named my cat that... miss her).

The little guy is worth the sacrifice. I am sure once he is on his mission or in college, you are going to go hog wild on nuts! ;)

Kara said...

Yeah, I pack lunches and snacks for his school. It's quite fun... Good thing he likes to try most food, at least part of the time. (obviously safe food.)

White Knuckle Grip

My photo
What striving to keep a grip on life produces.